Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Blog from Zambia!

Hey everybody! I made it safely to Zambia. We got through all the flight delays, stayed a little extra in South Africa, and arrived in Zambia late Thursday night. We had introductions, bicycle measuring, shots, and a full day of training on Friday. I had a huge headache last night-do not know if it was dehydration, my first malaria pill, or just stress. But I feel better this morning! We had more sessions this morning and are currently in a mall, doing our grocery shopping for our first site visits.

So far, it is like we are taking baby steps, gradually going deeper into the "real" Africa. There is a lot of contrast here...poverty and dirt roads, and then malls and grocery stores....but we have not even really left the capital city/district yet. We are having more training sessions and a formal "ringing in" ceremony (the first one ever in PC Zambia) tomorrow. Then, on Monday we will go out in groups of 3-4 people to current volunteer sites across the country. We will stay with this volunteer and get a full idea of what their village life is like for 3 days, returning back to the head office next Friday. On Friday, I will learn my language group and host family village where I will spend the next 10-11 weeks!

I've taken lots of great pictures, but I won't have time to put any up yet. I'm already having a great time! Hope to be able to post more soon!

6 comments:

  1. Just went to T Mobile with your Mom and she is all set up with a new phone and plan so she can text you for free and call at a discounted rate. Missed you this morning when we had our coffee! And we will miss you when we play cards tonight! Greg suggested calling Denise for our 4th person...NOT!!!! Glad you are having fun! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! I cant wait to see pictures and find out about international calling on my phone plan! Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Welcome to Zambia! I am also in Zambia. I am a RAP volunteer. I hope you enjoy your first site visit and the rest that PST has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica ~ it's Cindy! I hope you have a blast in Zambia. Can't wait to read your post! Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking about you lady! I am so excited for you and your new adventure that awaits you <3 be safe
    -stephannie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey there lady! This is tony! Im a rap voluntere from northern prOVINCE from the intake b4 yew. They r placing a noo red voluntere next to me and from reading ur blog i think wed b grate naybers. If u git a choice you should do mambwe and come up to mbala. We'll go rock climbing and be awesome friends. -TONY!

    ReplyDelete