I got an e-mail from Placement on Friday, asking if I would be available and interested in an earlier departure (October 5th) to go to the Pacific Islands (Tonga or Samoa). I was totally shocked by this e-mail, because although I always suspected they might ask me about going in October, I had always assumed it would be for one of the African countries going in October....it hadn't even crossed my mind to possibly go to Tonga or Samoa in October! LOL. Anyways, I spent most of the day researching and then considering my options, and eventually e-mailed back Friday afternoon saying, "Thank you for considering me for an earlier departure to the Pacific Islands. However, after much consideration, I have decided that I would prefer to remain with my original nomination for Sub Saharan Africa and departure date in November."
Just to help everyone out, here is some of my reasoning leading up to my decision:
* October 5th is very soon to be ready and I already have trips planned that would interfere or need to be cancelled
* My heart and passion has always been set on Africa. Although I would be willing to go somewhere else, if Africa is still an option- I definitely prefer Africa.
* I don't like seafood and would have lots of trouble w/the diet in Pacific Islands
* Sounds like a lot of volunteers may have to live with a host family all 2 yrs in Pacific Islands- which I would prefer not doing
* A lot of areas in Pacific Islands have electricity, running water, indoor toilets, etc.....I am looking for the more extreme and rustic living conditions
* I think I will meet more volunteers and have the opportunity to travel to more places in Africa.....in the Pacific Islands I think it would be harder to travel and there would be a smaller pool of new friends/volunteers to meet
Well, hopefully everyone supports and understands my decision! And hopefully Placement was not offended by my saying no, and hopefully they contact me soon about leaving in November!