Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Unfortunate Event

I want to share some sad news from Lesotho. A fellow University of Florida graduate, and Peace Corps Volunteer, was shot and killed in Lesotho on Friday, September 3, 2010. His name was Tom Maresco, and he has been serving as an Education volunteer in Lesotho since November 2009. Tom was an amazing guy and will be missed by family and friends here in Florida and in Lesotho.

Although I did not know Tom personally, I have friends that did. Ironically, I was also given his e-mail address by a friend just days before his death, as I was supposed to get in contact with him. Supposedly, Tom has been waiting and hoping for another UF grad to join him as a PCV in Lesotho. I would have been that person, and Tom and I would have met in November. I am sad that I will never get that chance to meet or talk to Tom.

I want my friends and family to know that this was a random violent crime, and was not something targeted at Peace Corps Volunteers. The investigation is ongoing, but it is thought to have been an attempted robbery. Please read the Peace Corps Press Release to get more information.

This event saddens me, but does not deter me or lessen my resolve to go to Lesotho. Crimes like this can and do happen all over the world.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness this hasn't caused you to rethink things! While it is unfortunate and sad, you are very right in noting that crimes like this happen EVERYWHERE! I just hope that others don't let the negative stories deter them from service since life isn't always sunshine and rainbows. :)

    ReplyDelete